Logo Lowery (Lowry) Mill and Euharlee Bridge All Text & Images:
Copyright (2013)

Euharlee was settled in the 1840s around several grain mills, and was first known as Burge's Mill.
Little is known about the history of the mill whose substantial ruins lie on the west side of Euharlee
Creek.   Daniel Lowery (Lowry) bought the grist mill, built upon the ruins of the earlier mill that had
burned, around 1880.   In addition to grinding, it was reportedly used at some period for carding wool.



West side of Euharlee Creek:

Lowry_Mill

Creek-level mill ruins from modern bridge
The white specks are snow, which was spitting when some of these shots were taken...



Mill_ruins
Lowry Mill ruins


Mill_ruins
Creek-side ruins; probable location of water wheel


Mill_ruins
Mill foundation wall; covered bridge in background.


Mill_ruins
Mill ruins from covered bridge ramp...




Covered_bridge

Euharlee covered bridge



GHS-sign



From east side of creek:


Lowry_mill_lower_level
View across creek at Lowry Mill lower level.


Mill_lower_level
Wider view of mill's lower level.


Bridge-Mill_ruins
From further downstream, panoramic view of covered bridge and mill ruins.




East_ruins
The east bank of the creek also contains ruins of more old structures...


East_ruins
East-side ruins, with Lowry Mill ruins visible across creek in rear.


East_ruins

Additional images from the east-side ruins:



East_ruins



East_ruins



East_ruins



East_ruins





Gear_shaft
Old gear shaft of some sort...




Under_bridge
Underneath the covered bridge...


Covered_bridge
View downstream toward Euharlee covered bridge.




Mill-bridge
Another view of mill ruins and covered bridge, from the modern bridge.


Dam-east_side
Ruins and remains of mill dam on east bank of Euharlee Creek, from the modern bridge.



Concept Sketches for Euharlee's current Mill Rebuild Project:

Iron_works_diagram



Iron_works_diagram




Back to Ruins Index To SE USA Index
All Text & Images: Copyright 2013.