Logo Concord Road Historic District
Including the Woolen Mill, Covered Bridge, & Ruff's Grist Mill
All Text & Images:
Copyright (2013)


The ruins of the Concord Woolen Mill (ca 1847-1916) are situated on Nickajack Creek in Smyrna.
Like other mills in the area, they were destroyed by Sherman's troops in the summer of 1864.
The DOT erected ghost framing to protect the structures from becoming unstable
due to dynamiting during construction of the nearby East-West Connector.


Front_view
Front view


Wall_Corner



Interior
Structure interior


Long_wall



Long_walls



Arched_opening
Arched header


Window



Front_oblique



Base_walls





Dye_house
Along with the main Mill structure, there is this smaller dye building on-site.


Dye_House
Dye house on left;   main Mill structure back to the right.


Creek_thru_wall
Nickajack Creek through wall opening.


Joist_cavity
Floor joist cavity




Mill_structure
Back at the main structure...


Arched_opening
Through the arch...


Windows
Windows


Creekside_wall
This wall faces the creek.


Stonework



Following a trail along Nickajack Creek, one approaches Concord Road...


Ruffs_Mill
Ruff's Grist Mill, constructed in the 1840's.
Somewhat in a state of disrepair...



Covered_Bridge
Concord Road Covered Bridge, built 1872.


Back-tracking a bit downstream on Nickajack Creek...


Nickajack_cascade



Ruffs_Mill-cascade
The creek flows over this pretty cascade just below Ruff's Mill.


Cascade



Cascade-detail
Cascade detail



~ Spring-time Visit ~
Click here for an April visit to the Concord Historic District!




Back to Ruins Index To SE USA Index
All Text & Images: Copyright 2013.